BISF internal insulation thoughts and confirmation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I live in a BISF (pre fab 1950) house having tired of the wallpaper next to impossibe to remove as there is no plaster..., artex ceiling, wanting to hang a tv on the wall, scared of falling off, impossible to heat....think i'll stop... but you get the idea....time for upset misses and refurb time.

I have removed all the plasterboard for the walls and ceiling in the living room so nice blank canvas.
So far i have built an additonal 50mm stud partition to standard measurements - 600/1200mm on all walls. Putting in xtra noggins for weighted items like shelves, mirror etc, huge structural supports for the tv prob abit over the top but 3x 3.5mm x 2.4m batterns bolted in 6 places to the existing studs...trust me - it dont move.

My question is above best insulation, i want to insulate well aswell as sound insulation too. My misses has hawk ears!!

My thoughts were to put 50mm celetox panels between the studs that i have built, covering with 9.5mm plasterboard with vapour barrier (silver bit facing away from the room), (maybe) 3mm neoprene rubber for sound insulation, plus 15mm soundbloc plasterboard.
I have not found the rubber cheap enough yet so maybe just screw 9.5 vapour and 15mm sound together...or an alternative.

This is been done for ceiling and walls including insulation. All walls/ceiling plaster skimmed. (yet to find a guy)

I thought about using the foam boards in the ceiling as they allow air to move over the top removing any moisture. (obviously staying away from the downlight spotlights.....puff

Flooring will be engineered oak with fibreboard insulation underneath on concrete floor.

Would this be ok? Too excessive? Bad idea? Improvements?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Also which insulation is best? Celotex Tbreak or Kingspan TP10?.....they are the same price on buildingsupplies.co.uk....
Just realising if i use the insulation panels sealed with foil tape, i dont need 9m foil backed plasterboard do i?...only benefit would be additional sound proofing suppose.

Sponsored Links
Hi richsmif, what did you do in the end (if you're still around)? I'm in the same situation and was thinking of the same thing, but was a little worried that it could cause condensation problems on the inside of the steel cladding on the surface that faces the wall cavity.

I'm interested in this as the external insulation option would be beyond my DIY abilities, too expensive to be worthwhile (quite a few thousand pounds more for maybe £50 per year fuel savings) plus radically changing the look of a house exterior seldom improves its appearance in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back