Stud wall insulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I am renovating the bathroom in my 1870's 1st floor tenement flat. As part of this I am removing tiled plywood panel attached to battens, underneath this is the bare brick wall. Also I will be lowering the ceiling to accommodate extractor fan, spotlights etc. I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can advise on: -

1. One walls of the bathroom is an external brick wall in that it faces onto the common stairwell so external in my eyes. I cannot see it having any form of cavity/insulation. Subsequently, I plan to do the following with this wall: -
- Batten out with studs
- Suitable insulation between the studs
- Vapour barrier over the studs/insulation
- Plasterboard attached to studs
Questions for this part are: -
a) any thoughts/observations for this approach, my main area of confusion is that some posts suggest that the insulation should be attached to the walls and then battened over.
b) as I will be lowering the ceiling, do I have to continue this approach above the false ceiling or can i leave the bear brick wall above the false ceiling?

2. One of the other walls is an internal brick wall, doe this need insulated if I batten/board it out?

3. For lowering the ceiling I plan to create a stud frame and board over. I wasn't planning any insulation for the void above the false ceiling, unless I am advised that I need to ?

Any help/comments is much appreciated.

Regards

Naqi

Sponsored Links
a) any thoughts/observations for this approach, my main area of confusion is that some posts suggest that the insulation should be attached to the walls and then battened over.

Either / or.

Battens over the insulation are to create service voids if required.

b) as I will be lowering the ceiling, do I have to continue this approach above the false ceiling or can i leave the bear brick wall above the false ceiling?

You don't have to, but it would be better to continue it up.

You will need to ensure water vapour cannot pass into that space unchecked, as it will have cold surfaces = bad.

2. One of the other walls is an internal brick wall, doe this need insulated if I batten/board it out?

Cant see why.

3. For lowering the ceiling I plan to create a stud frame and board over. I wasn't planning any insulation for the void above the false ceiling, unless I am advised that I need to ?

Again, can't see why you would.

Either / or.

Battens over the insulation are to create service voids if required.

Thanks for your prompt reply, the only reason I could find for doing the insulation under the battens was to avoid "cold bridging"

Thanks again

Naqi

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back