BISF Steel Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to purchase a new home which has a BISF construction. I’ve not come across this before.
Specifically, the ceilings are artex and the walls are papered and painted. We want to get rid of all of that. I was wondering whether it would be easier to rip off the ceiling and wall boards (in this type of construction)?

In the past I have drylined walls and manage to get a nice finish before it was painted.

Also, how are these insulated and is that something I could address as part of this project?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In 1986 the Building Research Establishment produced a report on BISF houses. One concern was corrosion at joints in the steel frame.

"The British Iron & Steel Federation steel framed house"

Available from https://www.brebookshop.com/ to download for £15. Would be a good investment.

Sponsored Links
Get advice and a survey from someone experienced with this construction - normally structural engineers, but building surveyors with suitable experience will do.

Lenders may be limited.

Check out insurance premiums first.

Insulation options are limited too.

As woody says, the risks of a poorly planned insulation job on these buildings are severe- if you get condensation or water ingress in the wrong bit, you may get severe structural issues.

I'd think very carefully about buying a steel framed house

Corrosion at the bases of the columns is common. You need opening up works to see how the existing structure has faired.

Sometimes the engineer or surveyor will use an endoscope to get a good look inside. It's unlikely the vendor will allow anyone to do any opening up works to check though so finding out what level of corrosion there is may be difficult before you buy, unless access can be found for the endoscope without needing any invasive works to be carried out.

As woody says, the risks of a poorly planned insulation job on these buildings are severe- if you get condensation or water ingress in the wrong bit, you may get severe structural issues.

I'd think very carefully about buying a steel framed house
Can I at the least put on new insulation backed plasterboards or does that present a risk too?
Have I also correctly understood that internally, it has the plasterboards screwed to a timber framework?

Thanks for your tips and comments. I have noted these.
I am keen to hear from anyone that has worked on such a build and specifically, beefed up the insulation.

Also, any insight on my point on how plasterboards are fixed internally.

Thanks again.

That post suggests that he has used rigid insulation and rebuilt his timber studwork for the plasterboard to fix to. using 75mm insulation has left him with a reasonable gap for the cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back