Bit of block advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Starting to plan out how long my extension is going to take to complete,
its approx 3mtr by 2.5mtr in an 'L shape' conneting via ties to the original building.

The building is to have 'class B engineering bricks' up to DPC, then be block work for the rest, the wall will also have an 85mm cavity but the questions are as follows,

1. Do i start using the wall ties at DPC level,
2. How many coarses of blocks should i lay in one day or can i do as many as i like ???

Cheers
Stan.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Stan,
Good question stan!
now, work below ground is exactly the same as above but not pointed.
so, ties as normal, eg. every 6 course, however the smart guys trench fill to 6" below finish path level with concrete, to save a lot of trouble and bending, (and you wouldn't want to bend down in Grimsby if you could help it would you?)
the position of ties above ground,
Only put ties at DPC if you are using them to support the insulation bats, and then put them under the DPC and under the mortar bed, make sure they are pointing downwards outwards, (does that make sense?)
otherwise start ties at the 6th course above path or inside floor level.
Nash no2 is good for beginners BTW.

Sponsored Links
Nash, Wrote the handbook on building.
Nash1 is very basic handtools and the like,
Nash 2 is brickwork, bonds etc.
Nash 3 is civil engineering and so on.
I should think that you can buy them for a very few pence from abebooks or amazon, although I've never looked.

Chudley books are quite too. Joe uses them all the time, to quote with orfority on building works ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back