Concrete fill DPC cavity ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am self building a porch, have laid trench fill foundations now ready to lay DPC - 3 courses below ground, 2 above all in class B's. My drawings show the 2 skins tied and filled with lean concrete, are these both necessary ? Above DPC the walls will be solid blocks 265mm wide so no cavity. Will I be better or worse off with cavity filled or not ????

Sponsored Links
I've not heard of using solid 265mm walls above the dpc, but i guess using such a block makes any cavity beneath irrelevant.

A conventional cavity wall would have the cavity filled to within 225mm of dpc. This is so that the walls are not crushed together whist allowing a cavity drip trough below dpc.

I guess it would not hurt then to fill two of your three courses below ground leaving a total of three clear below dpc.

Sponsored Links
When building a solid wall, you always have a solid foundation. It's only built with 2 skins of brickwork to get the 265mm width.
If it was a 13inch solid wall above you would build it in solid brickwork, but 265mm is easier with 2 skins and filled with concrete.

Detail drawing shows cavity filled to top, but when I queried with the architect who drew the details he said I can if i want or not bother ??! I'm thinking solid wall above why not be solid below ie cavity filled ?

When building a solid wall, you always have a solid foundation. It's only built with 2 skins of brickwork to get the 265mm width.
If it was a 13inch solid wall above you would build it in solid brickwork, but 265mm is easier with 2 skins and filled with concrete.
What about the thermal aspect immediately at slab level? Would not having a clear cavity benefit the thermal bridge at this point?

Particularly if the block walls above are aerated.

What about the thermal aspect immediately at slab level? Would not having a clear cavity benefit the thermal bridge at this point?

Particularly if the block walls above are aerated.
The walls above will probably be 265mm Turbo or similar. A cavity may help a bit with the thermal, although there won't be much difference beyween 2 skins of brick and a 265mm solid.

What a bizarre spec for a porch. What's wrong with trad cavity wall with some insulation in the cavity? :rolleyes:

I've done an extension like that, but not a porch.
If it's not heated 9 inch brickwork is good enough.

I've got an extension to do at the rear so using the porch as a bit of practice and also to keep all materials the same, that's why I took the decision to go with the 265 blocks same as rear extension :D . For info the blocks are celcon solar

Interesting that they claim "superior thermal conductivity". You know what they mean, but really they've got that AAF - you don't want your walls to have thermal conductivity - the poorer the better. Inferior thermal conductivity, or superior thermal resistance is what they should be saying.

OOI, what's your target U-value for your extension walls, and how do you plan to achieve it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back