Building internal breeze block wall & dpc question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm new to the forum so pleased to be a new part of the community.

I am going to have a go at building a breeze block wall to split my garage in two (drum room / workshop).

It's a brick built garage with an exiting concrete floor. I will be taking the wall direct up from the floor and using some kind of tie to secure the new wall to the existing brick wall.

I'm not sure if I need to put a dpc in there somewhere. If I do, do I start with a dpc and build off that or do I start with a couple of courses straight off the concrete and then add a dpc in?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

MrSixty7

Sponsored Links
What’s the floor makeup currently? Will it take the weight of the blocks, likely if they’re aerated but less likely if they’re conc aggregate.
Assuming the floor is currently dry and has a DPM under it, no need for a DPC in the wall.

how big is the wall and how high?
i’d install a dpc at ground level regardless.

If you have a DPC in the external walls, you may want to replicate that in the internal wall.

And you may want to consider if the concrete slab can actually support a block wall without it cracking.

Sponsored Links
Consider a timber stud wall, probably a lot easier/cheaper/less messy to DIY.

I am planning to use standard (cinder?) single breeze blocks, They have no weight to support. It's basically a dividing wall to separate drum studio from tool/work area.

It has a concrete floor and I can see the dpm in the perimeter walls at 1 brick above floor level (it's double skinned brick). I guess it can't do any harm to include a dpc, whether it needs one or not.

As per cbde's comment above, I'm also now considering a stud wall. I could use acoustic plasterboard and line the cavity side of the plasterboard with carpet and egg boxes to dampen sound further I guess.

MrSixty7

They need to support their own weight, it’s not just about what’s above it. I’ve seen block work walls not carrying any additional load cause slabs to sink and cause big problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back