Black & Decker Chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Black & Decker Chainsaw GK1640T and was changing the chain. Upon reassembly the the orange knob on the chain cover with the threaded bolt is not getting any purchase and just spins. The whole assembly was tight until I removed the cover to change the chain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply John.

I've already given that a try with no joy.

I can't really suggest much more, but I think the knob turns the bolt (spring inbetween) which engages on a snail cam adjuster that turns to tighten the chain......best take it to bits again and see if something hasn't re-engaged when you took it apart.
Also make sure that the knob actually turns the bolt!
John :)

Sponsored Links
if its anything like my bosch there may be two alignment marks that must be lined up

Tried all of the above with no joy. Looks like an uneconomic repair or the bin!

Thanks,
Gary

... in case anyone else (like me) finds this in future...
There's a captive nut inside the black plastic gear cover, but it's not held firmly. So if you push on the blade retaining screw while removing or refitting it, the nut can fall out and end up suck inside the drive gear. It's relatively easy to fix - remove the screws holding the green side cover (one is under the label) and carefully lift the cover off, taking care with the oil tank cover. Then remove the three screws holding the black cover over the gears. Remove this carefully - there's a thrust washer on the drive spindle which would be easy to lose. Put the nut back in its socket (I used a bit of clear glue to hold it more firmly), then reassemble - black gear cover first, green side cover second. Finally, when refitting the blade, DO NOT press down on the screw to help it engage!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back