Black Hole Ventilators.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
On the advice of my gas fitter just purchased a BM420/1 Air Ventilator 129cm2. My question, I know this is the right size of free air that we need for the appliance, but the size of the actual space within the vent will create a massive draft without some kind of baffle being fitted. Do they make baffle kits for this model, on the makers web site it reads that all their products have a baffle system to reduce drafts, anybody assist.

Cheers

H

Sponsored Links
without looking at the appliance and working out the ventilation requirements a average vent of about 100cm2 is about right.

Most vents come with a baffle inside the tube, you could have it placed at high level as long as it can be checked so you dont get a cold breeze on your legs

the draught will occur if the air that comes through the vent is equal to the amount of air going out of the room.

Have you already got some similar sized hole that the air will go out through?

If it isn't escaping, the incoming air would have to inflate your room.

Hi,

The actual requirement of free air has been calculated at 113cm2, this was the nearest vent in free air capacity that I could get, no, there is no other vent or air brick, above floor level in the room. We always have the window open slightly so have a constant flow of air.

H

Sponsored Links
sunbeam275";p="1491743 said:
Hi,
On the advice of my gas fitter just purchased a BM420/1 Air Ventilator 129cm2. My question, I know this is the right size of free air that we need for the appliance, but the size of the actual space within the vent will create a massive draft without some kind of baffle being fitted. Do they make baffle kits for this model, on the makers web site it reads that all their products have a baffle system to reduce drafts, anybody assist.

if you require this type of vent i assume you have an open flued appliance, if it is 129cm2 then the Heat Input of the appliance would be over 35kw gross, this should be checked as it is far greater than normal boilers, can you post make and model so we can check, a "BM" vent sounds like it is made by STADIUM, they do make vents with baffles which cut down the draught but still allow free air to pass into the room, if you post some more info we can confirm if you have the right size/type of vent

Black hole vents are designed with internal baffles already fitted to stop any draught as such and air is pulled through them by the appliance burning the air within the room...
That is there selling point so no you dont need additional baffles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back