black live switch wire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken down a light fitting in the house and as I removed it the red tape on the black switch wire fell off (age I guess).
I have a tester here that looks like a screw driver that lights up when you touch wires.
Can I use this if I turn on the power and touch the black coating on the wire.
total novice and I can not afford to get a spark out so would love to know if this is possible without getting a shock.

Sponsored Links
neon screwdrivers are awful

you can get a multimeter at any DIY shed or hardware store for about £10

while you are there buy some red sleeving to use on live black wires in future, and some green/yellow for earth wires. You will most likely find some that need it.

thank you John.

Been made redundant so cash is very tight thats why I thought I could use this old Neon.
Didnt know though if it was safe to just turn on the power and touch the black plastic sleeving on the wire.
If you think thats dangerous then I will have to find the cash from somewhere to buy a multi meter but then I have not a clue as to how to use it.
really wish I could just call a spark out but I am just skint and cant afford it.

touching the black insulation will not do anything. You need to touch the copper conductor anyway.

A cheap multimeter will do a lot of things for you, we can explain it to you. It wil probably not wear out, but the test leads will.

Sponsored Links
You should have three black wires.
a) return from switch line
b) neutral feed to lamp
c) neutral feed from lamp.
Without knowing which is which you can only safely connect two at a time as if switch line is connected to neutral then it would be short circuit so I will consider the options.
Neutral disconnected other two in any configuration – nothing works. Max number of times needed to find this three so three attempts neutral is found.
Now neutral in connect hole two wires left to connect to lamp. One will switch lamp off and on with switch other will do all sorts but not change with switch use. So now you have switch return line wire.
One left is neutral feed to next lamp.
DO NOT TRY TO SKIP A STEP. If you find two wire which allows light to work is could be either line – neutral and neutral – line or line – line and neutral to neutral so you need to find the wire which when not used stops all working with switch in either position to identify neutral.

Far simpler with a meter though and bell out wires.

And you should of course switch off at main switch between each test and don’t touch unused wire during test.

If you get it wrong and touch wires while switched on you can get a shock as could anyone else so please insure no children are around.

Could you connect all the red wires together, then turn the switch on, then use the screwdriver and see which black wire has the voltage on it.

That is posed as a kind of question as I'm not a qualified spark.

That is posed as a kind of question as I'm not a qualified spark.
Your not a qualified clock watcher either.

The last post was Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:29 pm

HAHAHA, the penny has just dropped!!!

I was out with the dog at time of posting so just did the quick reply thing when I saw it.

Honestly, if you saw me then you would have seen the light bulb come on just as I replied.

Probably the similar topic at the bottom of the page
Indeed. IMO, someone ought to make those lists more sensible (e.g. limit the age). On this topic page I'm looking at, there are just five ... 2 from 2004 (~10 years ago), 2 from 2005 (~9 years ago) and one from 2010 (~4 years ago) ... all of which seems a bit silly to me!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back