2 way switched light not working

The cables at the junction box only have the red and black wires, no earth. The original metal switches were fitted by the same electrician. He changed all the house switches to metal and he also fitted the new consumer unit a couple of years back. We cannot rewire the switch without a lot of damage to walls etc.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i would seriously question the competence of your 'electrician'. If you have a two core twin and earth between the two switches you don't have to rip walls open. As i explained previously.

Regards,

DS

A new cu has been fitted. Bet its dual rcd.

Do you have 2 lighting circuits ?

Wonder if a borrowed neutral has resulted in the earth being used. Unlikey I think.

Anyway what an appalling electrican fitting metal switches

Sponsored Links
The double switch downstairs is earthed to the back of the switch plate using the earth wire from the switch which controls the hall light.
The upstairs switch has an earth wire connected to the switch box, not sure where the earth wire comes from.

The earth needs to be connected to the terminal on the switch plate:

However even if it was, given the junction box with no earth connections at all, it is highly unlikely the earth wire is actually connected to anything at the other end.

Are we sure the two blue tape-wrapped conductors are connected to each other?

Are we sure the two blue tape-wrapped conductors are connected to each other?
I think we probably are ....
It is part of the same cable as the red and black wires from the second switch
I don't want to sound awkward, but are you sure? Red, Black and Brown in one cable would be extremely unusual.
I think it was brown. I know it is definatley part of the same cable, as I've said I used a multimeter to test the continuity of the 3 wires from the second switch to the first and they are all ok.
As I've said, on the basis of what we've been told, what concerns me more is what is under that blue tape - it seems hard to see what it could be other than the (perhaps brown-sleeved at the ends) bare CPC of (old-colours) T+E.

Kind Regards, John

If you have a feed at the hall all you require are two strappers to the landing switch. You already have the switch wire from the landing light at that point?

regards,

DS

What do I need to do to try this?

A new cu has been fitted. Bet its dual rcd.

Do you have 2 lighting circuits ?

Wonder if a borrowed neutral has resulted in the earth being used. Unlikey I think.

Anyway what an appalling electrican fitting metal switches

Answer these 2 questions first

I have a problem with my Stair light. It is controlled by 2 switches. If the light is switched off from one switch it does not turn off from the other. I have had an electrician look at it and he could not find the problem. The wiring to the switches has been checked and also to the junction box. Frustrated I decided to check the fitting itself, this is a new fitting. There are 3 wires to the fitting, red, black and earth. The red is connected to the live terminal and is always live regardless of the switches. whe the switches are off the black is not live. If I turn on one switch the black is then live, I used one of the screwdriver type testers where you touch the wire and put a finger on the end to make the circuit. If I then try to turn off the light using the other switch the black is then not live but, and this seems very odd to me, if I touch the black wire with the tester, have my finger on the end and then touch the metal cover of the first switch the tester lights up.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Have you removed the switches and checked they actually work in both switching positions?

You may have a faulty switch?

Regards.

DS

Yes, there are 2 lighting circuits, one upstairs and one down.

How do I check the switches?

Remove them taking note of the connections, use your multi meter between L1 +C and switch the switch you will get continuity with the switch in one position. Do the same test with L2+C the switch should be in the opposite position and again you will get continuity.

Regards,

DS

If as you say the light was not switching off it could be a faulty switch or there is a short on the strapped cable which would make one switch US, and give you the false continuity readings when you use your multimeter.

As we do not actually know if you have an earth connection it is perfectly possible that there is a nail through a strapper cable and due to the absence of an earth the circuit has not tripped.

Be very careful as you're earthing may be suspect.

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back