Problem with 2 way switch 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a 2 way switch system in the garage, the light in the garage can be turned on from within the house or from a switch in the garage. The main live coming into the switch in the garage changes depending on the position of the switch in the house (sometimes the main live is red but flicking the switch in the house makes the main live black).
We would like to fit another light in a cupboard in the garage with two switches, one for the garage itself and one for the cupboard, we want to come off the switch in the garage but haven't managed to work it out.
We currently have 2 red wires, 1 black and an earth in the old switch and from our new light fitting we have a red, black and an earth.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
see stick for refernce the drawings of how its done are there.

Thanks for the response breezer, could you send me a link please as I dont know where/ what the "stick" is?
Thanks

The "Y" on his keyboard is missing. He meant STICKY.
Go back to the front page of the forum and you'll find sticky near the top. There's a bunch of 2-way lighting diagrams there.

HAve fun!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that I've found the sticky now
Just having a look!

You can't take the supply for your new fittings from the switch. You need a neutral (unless there is one at the switch position).

Yeah I've started to realise from the diagrams that you have to bring the supply in from a rose. I thought I could just take it from the switch and that would work. When I did get it to work the lights were very dim. Time to call an electrician I think.

Taylortwocities said:
The "Y" on his keyboard is missing. He meant STICKY.

HAve fun!

I have found it,yyyyyyy

but i also see that your caps lock button sticks :LOL:

I am so bad at typing fast that i changed my signature (look at the last bit)

Look up until you see Electrics UK

Then click it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back