2 way switched light not working

OK, I've checked the switchs. Without the wires connected they both are fine, continuity across com/L1 or com/L2 depending on the switch position. With the wires attached there is continuity across both com/L1 and com/L2 at the same time, regardless of the switch position. I checked the continuity on the cable from switch 1 to switch 2, including testing if there was contnuity across wires, e.g. using the red wire at one end and the black wire at the other, and it is all ok. I took the chance to unwrap the blue tape and have found the other wire, in com, is actually a bare wire with a grenn/yellow sleeve on it.

Sponsored Links
I took the chance to unwrap the blue tape and have found the other wire, in com, is actually a bare wire with a grenn/yellow sleeve on it.
That is what I feared. That really is not acceptable, and potentially dangerous. You really must get that cable replaced by proper 3-core+Earth cable ***, as well as getting the (again potentially dangerous) earthing issues sorted out. The act of doing all that will very probably sort out the switching problem - but, even if it doesn't it should make it fairly easy to discover what is wrong.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: *** OR, as deadshort has suggested, get the wiring re-arranged so that you do not require 3 connections between switches, so that the bare 'earth wire' can be used for its proper purpose, and not (dangerously) as a live conductor.

If you have a feed at the hall all you require are two strappers to the landing switch. You already have the switch wire from the landing light at that point?

regards,

DS

What do I need to do to try this?
This will negate the need for 3 core cable between the 2 switches. Which will allow you to disconnect the blue cable and use it as an earth connection as intended.

PLEASE GET A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN TO CHECK ALL YOUR WIRING ASAP.

DS

Sponsored Links
I'm getting confused now, I have just reconnected the wires and decided to test the switches again for continuity with them connected. I now have continuity across com/L1 and not com/L2 on one switch while the other switch has continuity across com/L1 and com/L2 together and vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back