Black single silver wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In doing some plumbing around electrics I accidentally dropped the hammer and smashed the casing on an old black junction box. I have replaced but realised there was an additional
15751206578371831214555013239507.jpg
single black wire (see image) which doesnt seem to have a purpose it goes through the wall into a bedroom junction box and ends. I have tested it is not live. Is it an old continuity live? I assume part of the original wiring which is early 60s. Is it still required?

Sponsored Links
are other lights in the rooms next door working ?

could be a neutral
or maybe that new wire replaced it

Thabks for reply. I have just mirrored original junction box set up. The brown wire was already like that. I can easily extend to reach terminals. Everything is working as normal without black wire connected. If it's an old neutral it might not be needed anymore? As there is new wire around it

Sponsored Links
What if it’s an earth to something? You can’t just leave it disconnected. You need to trace where the wire goes to

Hi yes I have replaced all connections it seems to disappear under floor boards downstairs. I will investigate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back