black sticky tar from service head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it normal to have a black sticky tar running from the main service head, down on the incoming cables? Should I contact the DNO and get someone to check it out? It is a 3 phase supply, TNCS, only 1 being used, was a little hairdressers being converted to a small home to let. Full rewire is required.

Another thing is the cover for the earth/neutral connection unit is missing, which is the DNO's responsibility, will they come out to correct it?

Thanks Katron.

Sponsored Links
The black tar suff is not unusual. See this thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78402

There must be a cover over the neutral. This is a LIVE conductor!

Call whoever supplies your electriicity and say the cover is missing its dangerous because you can see live conductors. They will be there pronto!

They'lll look at your tar too!

It is also useful to have a new G&Y earth wire ready to connect, if the old one is undersized. This is because they like to seal the connection so you can't easily renew it later.

Sponsored Links
Hi,Is it normal to have a black sticky tar running from the main service head, down on the incoming cables? Should I contact the DNO and get someone to check it out?

Hi Katron, I had the same problem. Loads of bitumen leaking out of the old cutout. When I rang the dno, the girl I spoke to said that they have to replace those foc as a matter of course, because they are cast metal and all the cutouts are now supposed to be plastic.

As JohnD said, I would use this as a chance to get the dno to also sort out the earthing at the same time ( and maybe see if they will fit an isolator as well ). Mine looked like this before :-

old.jpg

and now looks like this :-

new.jpg

A lot tidier I'm sure you will agree. :)

I see they built you a brick wall as well :LOL:

It is also useful to have a new G&Y earth wire ready to connect, if the old one is undersized. This is because they like to seal the connection so you can't easily renew it later.

Personally I liked the "old"photo...Looks like a Jackson Pollock painting.
I suggest those unfamiliar with JP's work go look it up
:LOL:

cast iron cable heads notorious for this . remember that the main cable may also need to be changed as there is a restriction on removing CI cable heads live. - Do you also need the 3 phase supply?maybe better to get rid of it and renew the sevive wit a 25mm split - this will give you all you need with a nice shiny CH and neutral earth blocks etc.

regards

John C

( leccy board engineer)

Always useful, IMO, to have a 3 phase supply available. You never know when you're going to install that heat pump. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back