PME?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been to look at a consumer unit replacement and when I checked the service head found the following. PME service head with no 16mm from the neutral link to MET, just the main protective bonds, 6mm earth from MET to fusebox and a 16mm black cable going down the hockey stick to god knows where. No PME warning lables. Got a ze of 0.21, so assumed it was PME as no signs of TT anywhere. Am I correct in my assumption, is this black cable the earth supplied by the DNO and the neutral linked somewhere I can't see. Should I run a 16mm earth from neutral link to the MET, no seals on the fuse so able to get inside the head. This is a new one for my first year in domestic.
TIA for help.

Sponsored Links
NO!

Do not tamper with DNO equipment, especially carrying out DIY PME conversions.

What makes you think it is a 'PME head'? Can you get us a photo?

It sounds to me like you have a TN-S supply of some sort.

Its the grey service head like all of the other PME's I have seen. If it was TNS I would expect that the sheath would be visible within the meter cupboard and a soldered/clamped earth connection visible. I am confused by the black 16mm going down the hockey stick from the MET. If it was a TNS then surely the sheeth would be available for inspection and maintenance. Thanks for the quick replies

Sponsored Links
How do you know it is a PME head with no PME warning labels?
no seals on the fuse so had a peek, neutral is connected into a brass connector block about 1" square and the exit hole for what I would assume to be the PME earth has not been fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back