Black tar on floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My daughter recently bought a house and it's now up to me to get it habitable. Im working in the back room downstairs at the moment and the floor is covered with two layers of what looks like solidified black tar (see pic).

It's very uneven and damaged in various places, so I thought I might take it all up and see what I'm left with. Looks like it's a concrete floor underneath so might end up using some self leveller to get a flat floor.

So should I take it up? Might there be any asbestos in it? Opinions welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That may be the DPC
They used to use bitumen before membranes were around

Hi all,

I've taken up the bitumen to reveal the original stone flagstones.

It would be great to somehow keep these as the finished floor, but they're too uneven. So, what to do next... I had the idea that I could put down an epoxy DPM followed by a self levelling compound to achieve a flat base onto which I will install the finished floor which will probably be laminate.

Does that sound like a plan?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you could save those great stone flags by carefuly lifting them and flippin them (mark each one with crayon, and how it lays before liftin them) - hopefuly they all have a good side - an reusin them over a new sub-base of DPM and insulation an concrete.

maybe work on the chimney breast an fireplace at the same time. whats happenin at the hearth area?

cut back the plaster contact with the floor by 50mm.

whatever you do, dont go spreadin bitumen on the stone flags.

I’d say a new sub floor is needed. Wouldn’t risk a liquid dpm and screeding compound on it.
Or look at getting a new Ashpalt floor on top.

the stone flags are gold dust, people pay a lot to have a retro look like yours but its never the same.
keep them, prize them an with apologies to dazlight do not ever spread asphalt on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back