blank plate that doubles as junction box??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a single 13A plug socket at knee height that has a vertical spur to a second single plug socket at about 1.5metres from floor.

Knee height socket will be covered with a cabinet and drawer unit screwed to wall (in a storage room).

I want to safely cover where the knee height socket is but have the option to use it in future.

The socket at 1.5m height I want to convert to a double plug socket.

Was thinking of replacing the knee height socket with a cover plate/junction box like in the pic below (a 20ATenby one), but where do I get one/which make or what are my regulation-following alternatives.????

Forgive me if all blank plates have a junction on the back.....

I would cut a hole in the cabinet back to allow access to the cover plate/junction box

DSC00185.jpg

the front of the junction plate in the pic looks like a blanking plate i.e. flat and unfeatured. It fits in my mates house over a standard 1G box.

apologies for the enormous pic!

many thanks

Sponsored Links
what a plonker, now I know its a flex outlet plate. Must stop posting at midnight,,,,

I take it that it is ok to use one of these for my original purpose of replacing the knee high single socket (see above)?? They come in 13A, 20A, 25A.

In the future, I may want to spur off the 1.5metre 1gang socket to an extractor fan if the room tends to get damp. Therefore, is it better to opt for the higher Amp flex outlet or am I being overcautious?

All you need to do is use a normal blanking plate & choc block connectors, as long as you make it accessible as you say you will.You should not spur from a spur if it is from the ring main.

Sponsored Links
but when is a spur a spur?

Ring main goes to connector/junction at knee height, this leads to the 1.5m socket

have I spurred to the 1.5m socket or would an extension from 1.5m socket be regarded as the first spur??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back