hager ashley maintenance junction box and filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom, there is an old shaver socket that has not been in use for years since we got rid of the wall units, the wall in question is about to be papered, it will look daft if the blank plate was papered over and unsightly with the blank plate in place,(it has always looked unsightly since the units were removed). Unfortunately there is not much play in the cables hence why I have bought the above junction box, I want to remove the blank plate and backbox all together as if it was never there, there is only 2 cables loop in and loop out, I plan to join these in the junction box, then patch the hole with filler.

Is it acceptable to conceil maintenance free junction boxes in the wall? I know the screw terminal junction boxes need to remain accessible. thanks

Sponsored Links
Cables may only be run in safe zones (see the wiki). These usually involve a visible accessory, so likely you can't do this.

Do both these cables both come down from the loft?

Sponsored Links
Its just as well, I actually managed to pull the "loop in" over to the light switch outside the bathroom horizontally as they were roughly the same height and I managed to get just enough slack., this cable ran down inside the wall, the other cable "loop out" went up to the attic and then back down to the bathroom switch, I have completely disconnected this cable now, I didn't really like the idea of filling over a junction box even if its "maintenance free" as its possible it could fail. There are no live cables to the shaver point now, so looks like I can just delete it all together and patch the hole. I think wallpaper is the way to go as the wall is not in best condition, the paper will hide the imperfections, its had a good sand but its not as good as what I would have liked and it would probably look crap painted.

Last edited:
Heavy lining paper - paint over that.
,thanks I may just do that, I will also mark where the cable was channeled to avoid accidental drilling in the future, unlikely but better safe than sorry, I know exactly where the cable is but someone else may not. The cable runs up the wall as it did before and now turns horizontally towards the light switch, luckily its only horizontal for a short distance about 150mm from the wall, so you could argue the cable is still in a safe zone.

If it's disconnected then you don't need to worry about whether it is in a zone or not.

If it's not disconnected then you do, and it sounds like it isn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back