maintenance free junction boxes, who makes them? whats on offer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that there don't seem to be very many manufacturers of maintenance free junction boxes and those I can find all seem to have their own spin on the idea.

Specifically I have found.

Wagobox series from connexbox (despite the name wagobox does not seem to be a wago product). These seem to be the most flexible option, allowing a large variety of connections on cables up to 6mm² but with that flexibility comes greater responsibility to choose the correct combination of box, terminals and if-needed adapter plates.

J803 and J804 from hager/ashley. Simple 3 and 4 terminal junction boxes supporting cables up to 4mm².

Quickwire, very small junctions for specific lighting tasks.

Surewire, junction boxes dedicated to specific lighting tasks, but hampered by inflexible design. For example there is no provision in their range for a 4-wire connection to a fan or to a switch that needs a neutral.

Have I missed any?

Sponsored Links
mmm, the ideal "in-sure box". interesting that it seems to use free-floating terminals (compared to the other boxes which either use fixed terminals or have terminal holders moulded into the box)

Sponsored Links
Always have boxes of J803 and J804 on the van. They’re my go to. You can also remove the terminals and use 6mm wagos if needed.

While not MF, J501s are great for joints in lofts, under cabinet lights etc.

Always have boxes of J803 and J804 on the van. They’re my go to. You can also remove the terminals and use 6mm wagos if needed.

While not MF, J501s are great for joints in lofts, under cabinet lights etc.
If you replace the connectors it is no longer certified maintenance free.

If you replace the connectors it is no longer certified maintenance free.
The interesting thing is that concealed JBs are concealed (not available for inspection), so I imagine that, except in cases where the work is to be inspected by a third party before it becomes concealed, I would imagine that many people probably do what they regard as electrically acceptable and sensible, regardless of rules/regulations and certifications, fairly safe in the knowledge that no-one will ever know what they have done!

What he said, Its simply not worth bothering with the round brown ones anymore
I sort-of also agree, but the 'round brown ones' can, at least in my experience, be much quicker to install (albeit one theoretically then has to arrange for some cable restraint).

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it difficult/impossible to get conductors into the terminals (certainly if bigger than 1mm) without having to completely remove one side of the cable restraint strap (so that I can first terminate the conductor, then put it in place and refit the strap) - and having to do that potentially four times can take a little time. ... or is it just me?

Kind Regards, John

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it difficult/impossible to get conductors into the terminals (certainly if bigger than 1mm) without having to completely remove one side of the cable restraint strap (so that I can first terminate the conductor, then put it in place and refit the strap) - and having to do that potentially four times can take a little time. ... or is it just me?

No, not just you, I make them off in the same way, but its still preferable to be doing that and then pushing wires into fast fit terminals, then strugging to get three wires under the terminal on a round on and and weild the screwdriver in a tight spot in a loft etc

there might be room for a a possible improvment where the cable grip is a rachet arrangement where you push it down and it locks against the two sides, which you spring outwards slightly to remove it, but its a minor point really

The interesting thing is that concealed JBs are concealed (not available for inspection), so I imagine that, except in cases where the work is to be inspected by a third party before it becomes concealed, I would imagine that many people probably do what they regard as electrically acceptable and sensible, regardless of rules/regulations and certifications, fairly safe in the knowledge that no-one will ever know what they have done!
Very possibly true, but they should at least be aware that they are not an MF connection in these circumstances regardless of whether they beleive that they should be or not.

I used to maintain the Ashley round brown JB machines, big problem was the build up of swarf when the holes were drilled to accept the threaded inserts

Very possibly true, but they should at least be aware that they are not an MF connection in these circumstances regardless of whether they beleive that they should be or not.
In terms, literally, of "whether they should be or not", I don't think I have ever 'maintained', or 'had to maintain', a JB in my life, and some of my traditional ones have been in service for a good few decades - and I suspect that many others have similar experiences. In that literal sense, I therefore consider all traditional JBs to be 'maintenance-free'!

... but, in contrast, I don't think that any of these springy things have been in service in domestic installations for long enough for us to know for sure whether or not they really are 'maintenance-free'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back