Smallest maintenance free junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after the smallest, shallowest depth maintenance free junction box on the market

Can you sparkies recommend some please?

The depth needs to be no more than 30mm

So far the smallest I have found is

Hager J803

Sponsored Links
What is the box for?

Quickwire boxes are very small, but only suitable for limited applications. They are limited to a max cable size of 1.5mm² and a max current of 16A and a max protective device rating of 16A. They are also limited to twin and earth cables only and only particular wiring combinations.

Sponsored Links
If these are simple through joints then I suspect the quickwire boxes are your best bet.

@plugwash @Taylortwocities

I am joining 2 sets of cables, so 4 in total

They are side by side

1.5mm 2 core and earth. They are from the lighting circuit.
Errr so, you have two cables that need to connect to two other cables, or do all four wires need to connect together at this one point?
A bit more info.
The Quickwire things are meant to replace a lighting rose (loop in, loop out switch and load). Is that the applicatioon??
There is also a splitter box.
Please be clearer.

Errr so, you have two cables that need to connect to two other cables, or do all four wires need to connect together at this one point?
A bit more info.
The Quickwire things are meant to replace a lighting rose (loop in, loop out switch and load). Is that the applicatioon??
There is also a splitter box.
Please be clearer.
Doc, I've got two wires.

One is from the consumer unit to the switch

The second wire is from the switch to the light fitting.

I need to extend both of these wires as I am moving the location of the switch.

So the original two wires, will be joined with two new 1.5mm twin and earth wires.

The maintenance box needs to be as small as possible as I have a very shallow void and have to plaster on top to make good.

Sounds like the quick wire is the frontrunner.

I agree, next time I will snap a pic of my issue. It will make things clearer for all.

If you are moving the switch, remember that all cables must be in defined cable zones. The existing switch position will be a marker for the existing cables, and they will run horizontally or vertically from that point. If you move the switch then the cable run must move too.
This may be an option

What is the box for?

Quickwire boxes are very small, but only suitable for limited applications. They are limited to a max cable size of 1.5mm² and a max current of 16A and a max protective device rating of 16A. They are also limited to twin and earth cables only and only particular wiring combinations.
Quick wire have two junction boxes. Given my need, do I buy the load/switch junction box or the splitter junction box?

If you are moving the switch, remember that all cables must be in defined cable zones. The existing switch position will be a marker for the existing cables, and they will run horizontally or vertically from that point. If you move the switch then the cable run must move too.
This may be an option

My cable comes to the new switch like the pic.

Wire comes out of the switch horizontally (less than 50mm).

Then the wire travels vertically up towards the ceiling.

Is this okay or does the cable need to run straight up from the switch only?

Attachments

• IMG_20230221_131020030~2.jpg
    IMG_20230221_131020030~2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 51
To extend wires with quickwire the "splitter" box is your best option.

The wires can't come out of the side and go up.
They have to go straight up from the switch or they will be outside the safe zone.
Whichever side you take a cable out, it has to stay in that line, not dog-leg or go at an angle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back