bleach spilled on wooden surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spilled some bleach on my old pine kitchen table. The bleach has left 2 large pale patches. What's the best way to fix it?
I realise I'll probably have to sand it, can I do this by hand?

The table is unstained and unvarnished, but looks quite old.
How can I restore the slightly grubby look to it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
if your table is old i would guess the finish was pretty worn and therefore spilling bleach on it has done exactly what it says on the tin and bleached it.

I'm afraid oilman is right, sanding wont fix it. Whatever you do to try and fix it will be a fair ammount of work.

If it has sentimental value or you like that kind of project your options as i see it are;

1 remove a lot of wood i.e 4/5mm all over, which you would plane rather than try to sand. pretty heavy duty plane required!

2. Sand any remaining finish off and bleach the rest of the wood, which will give you a two tone table? top bleached legs etc original colour?
It is possible to restain wood after you bleached it all to the same colour but it is complicated and probably wouldn't take well.

3. Depending on the construction and your tools/ confidence, remove the table top and flip it over, undoubtedly you'll have filling sanding and refinishing to do.

4. Buy a very attractive tablecloth.

Sorry they are such poor options but if it were me i would try option 2. Assuming i valued the table quite highly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back