Help with mark on oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. Looking for some help with my wooden worktops. We had a new kitchen with oak worktops installed in February. The worktop was oiled with 3 coats and looked amazing. Enter my girlfriend and some bleach... The resultant inch long black mark was right dead centre so needed to go! I tried buffing it out but that didn't work so I used some sand paper to get it out. I went with the grain and it came out really quite easily. The issue now is that I have oiled the sanded part with the same oil as used originally however you can still see the circle or where I sanded. Is there something I can do to blend it in or will I need to sand the entire worktop?

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_104517.jpg
    IMG_20190914_104517.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20190914_104512.jpg
    IMG_20190914_104512.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
What I can say is that oak (like many woods) will change colour and darken/yellow over time, so it may just be a case of waiting. I made some American oak stuff many years ago (shelving units) and then a couple of years later I built some more which were much lighter to start with. After 3 years or so they had mellowed and the tone of old and new units was almost identical. If it really bugs you you could always try adding some spirit wood stain to the oil and re-oiling, but that is very hit and miss IMHO. In OCD extremis you could always scrape the entire top and refinish, but that's a LOT of work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back