Oak worktop badly installed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have recently had a kitchen fitted by a joiner who was not up to scratch, the most obvious problem being the worktops. I have a solid oak worktop that has been cut and then joined at a right angle using worktop bolts and some adhesive. I can now see splits appearing in the oak that i think are only going to get worse with use. What can i do? should i sand down past the splits and then oil again? I dont have a lot of experience with oak or wood for that matter so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
Find out if its was an adhesive or a sealant, they should not be stuck together as it won't allow the wood to expand & contract.

Can you post a picture so we can tell if its a major crack or just light surface checking.

J

The oak worktop I fitted recently came with instructions to clamp and glue top together as described above, though I ignored the adhesive for the reason jason gives.Are the cracks along the individual block joints, may be manufacturing fault, cheap top I bought had that problem, an offcut fell in half when glue joint failed.Is it a cheaper thin worktop?

Hi there

Thanks for your replies, here's some pictures, i think its just on the surface. It was joined with sealant not adhesive.

Cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
They look more like chips from it being badly cut rather than splits or shakes? In any case they look relatively minor, are they very noticable?

They are quite noticable, are they likely to get any worse? I use that part of the worktop alot as i do a lot of baking and therefore need to clean that area every day. Would it be better to put a metal strip there instead? I don't really want to because it will ruin the look.

Cheers
Al

They look like chips and as such will not get worse but will attract dirt and grime. Its really a cosmetic issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back