bleached out wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some, what I believe to be beechwood frames and on the exterior the frames are starting to bleach out at the bottom on the sills and the base of the door. I would like to bring it back to the same colour as the rest of the door, I thought about a weak solution of beech stain and gradually build the colour back up to match the rest of the door.

These doors haven't been treated yet with any kind of seal, oil or stain, its just bare wood getting weather worn.

I have come into this job by accident and am now redecorating the whole cottage, and its big, so I have my work cut out. Unfortunately I also have existing clients already booked in so I'm doing this job on Sundays and any spare time.

Sponsored Links
So long at the stain is a microporous exterior coating something like Butinox 1 then you'll be fine. Any other type of wood stain (which doesn't contain UV filters) will just quickly fade again.

Ideally, the darker you can go with the shade the better.

Ian McAslan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back