Bleaching old Oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Does anybody know anything about bleaching wood. I have an old 1930 Oak front door and want to try and get it back to a light oak colour. I have used Oxalic acid which has helped a lot but not enough, so I am moving on to calcium hypochlorite (swimming pool chlorine) but its getting a bit like old bone you find on the seaside, all different white patterns on the surface. A bit like limed oak done badly. I am told this is normal and you then have to do something to warm the colour up a bit, but I don't want to stain it, because I just want that light as possible oak colour and all the stains I have seen would be too dark. So anybody know what I can use?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Be carefull when using amonium (as mentioned on the site above). It might turn your Oak dark ('smoked') instead of bleached.

Sponsored Links
I have bleached oak using Rustin's Wood Bleach. That seemed to work ok but don't get it on your hands for f**ks sake!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back