Bleed a rad.

• Thread starter harrisonline
  • Start date
H

harrisonline

I want to bleed my radiators upstairs but I have noticed that the bleed screws have been painted over and I am unable to turn them.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
look and see if the bleed screws are set into a square or hexagonal socket. If so, this is a threaded plug that you can unscrew, and fit a new plug with a new bleed screw.

This tool is called a radiator spanner or radiator wrench and will cost you a few pounds at any plumbers merchant or DIY shed

p1094520_l.jpg

Newer plugs with bleed screws can be undone with an ordinary spanner

the new ones are usually brass or chromed, the old ones might be iron.

you will have to firmly close the valves at each end of the rad to prevent water leaking out. if the valves do not close tightly you will have to partially drain.

Thanks, I think that will work on some of them, but some others look different. I plan to change the rads eventually but not right now. I will get one of those and at least I will get some done.

Sponsored Links
Well actually that tool may do them all. There's so much paint on some of them I just cant see.

I will be changing the rads as I work my way through the rooms decorating. I have just done my bathroom from top to bottom and changed the Rad and valves. That meant I had to part drain the system. Thats when I realised all the others were un-bleedable! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back