Bleed valve fell off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please advise me. My radiator valve was really tight and so I used the pliers whilst turning the valve key and the bleed valve has actually fallen off. I have no idea what to do. Does this mean that the radiator will need replacing or is it possible to replace only the bleed valve (I hope!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like you heve broken the head off the bleed valve you may be able to get a replacment problem is getting the rest of the broken bit out :D

Thanks for your help Kev.

You're right I have broken the head off. I was wondering whether it was possible to replace the whole of that bit at that end of the radiator, sort of screw a new one in or something....

if its in a 1/2"" screwed plug yes if not no
however if you close both valves and carefullt drill the old bit out i have got away in the past with using a self tapping screw with a small o ring under the head :D

Sponsored Links
If "that bit at the end of the radiator" looks like it unscrews, it probably does. Might be difficult though, I suggest you ask a plumber, or a car mechanic .

I can't tell if it screws out or not. It's difficult to describe what it looks like - just a normal radiator end with a hexagonal shape around the bleed valve....

I will be getting a plumber to do it - so, no drilling and using a self tapping screw, although it does sound ingenious it's way beyond my capabilities (remember, I can't even bleed the radiators :oops: :D ).

Does anyone have any idea of the sort of cost I can expect for a plumber to (a) replace the radiator - it's a small bathroom one, and (b) replace the bleed valve bit, assuming that's possible??

(BTW Chris you're not really in Antarctica are you? Yes, I am that gullible.)

Su if the hexagonal bit looks like its welded into the rad then it won't undo. If that's the case then .... is there a friendly garage round your way? I bet one of their lads could get the bit out.

Otherwise, new rad - look we have to be guessing here, say £100- £150.

I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get a plumber to look at this and hope they can replace the end bit without replacing the whole radiator. It doesn't look welded to me but then I'm clueless so...

Chris and Kev - thanks for taking the time and all your help :cool: :D

Sue, from what you describe (the bleed vavle in a hex mounting) the whole think just unscrews and can be replaced, I have done several a while ago, around £2.50 in B&Q or likewise. Just drain a little water out of rad after having closed both valves (either end bottom), stick a spanner on it (the outer hex mounting) and take out, fit new and open valves. 15 mins for novice.
oh and by the way 'bleed valve fell off', womens speak for I brioke it, he, he.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back