Bleeding Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive recently drained my system and i need to bleed rads but 3 rads are quite old and have been painted even inside where the bleed valve is. They are stuck solid i cant turn them at all

Ive cleared away the paint from around what i can see or could they be seized in as theve not been released for around 10 years. If i apply heat with my solder torch will this ease them or do you guys know a easier/different way to release them

(they were painted by previous owners)

Thanks

Kev

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to take the whole bleed valve plug out and replace with new.

Andy.
Good advice, but that's not possible on a lot of older rads.

kevhky,
trying to heat the bleed nipples may seem like a good idea but all you are going to do is to burn off the paint, the surface area of the rad will suck the heat from the flame & it will take a long time before you get the nipple area anywhere near hot enough to make a difference.

I would try to tighten the nipple slightly before I tried to loosen it slightly, we are talking feeling the nipple move here so don't go wading in trying to move it a foot!
With seized items you are on a wing & a prayer as to whether they come free or snap off, it really is down to luck.
Try to work the nipple back & forth without stressing it that much so to snap it off.
Another thing to try would be to get a punch & to hit the end of the nipple a few times before trying to loosen it.

Good luck.

Might be easier to take the whole bleed valve plug out and replace with new.

Andy.
Good advice, but that's not possible on a lot of older rads.

kevhky,
trying to heat the bleed nipples may seem like a good idea but all you are going to do is to burn off the paint, the surface area of the rad will suck the heat from the flame & it will take a long time before you get the nipple area anywhere near hot enough to make a difference.

I would try to tighten the nipple slightly before I tried to loosen it slightly, we are talking feeling the nipple move here so don't go wading in trying to move it a foot!
With seized items you are on a wing & a prayer as to whether they come free or snap off, it really is down to luck.
Try to work the nipple back & forth without stressing it that much so to snap it off.
Another thing to try would be to get a punch & to hit the end of the nipple a few times before trying to loosen it.

Good luck.
This may actually help as when the paint is gone you might just be able to get the key on the nipple, properly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back