Bleeding Stelrad Compact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is fitted with Stelrad Compact radiators - three of the upstairs radiators are hot at the bottom but cold at the top so I assume they need bleeding but there is no bleed valve like I expect to see. At the top right of each radiator is a little screw which has a white plastic head around it which I can release and remove but it doesnt seem to bleed it as there is no pressure release and it doesnt improve the heat output. Down by the temperature adjustment knob there is a little round outlet which has what looks like a traditional bleed valve in it but as its at the bottom and there is heat at the bottom I dont want to touch it as I assume it will chuck out loads of water.

What am I doing wrong? Why wont the system bleed?

Thanks

Jase

Sponsored Links
If no air is coming out it probably means no water is getting in to push it out .What system/boiler do you have

Its an Ideal Istor HE260 or HE325 (cant see a label on it but thats what the manual shows) - the radiators on the other floors are working fine and the bottom of the affected radiators are very hot so I assumed it meant water was getting in but air was trapped hence needing to bleed it.

Its an Ideal Istor HE260 or HE325 (cant see a label on it but thats what the manual shows) - the radiators on the other floors are working fine and the bottom of the affected radiators are very hot so I assumed it meant water was getting in but air was trapped hence needing to bleed it.

we'll be seeing ya on ere alot then! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

we'll be seeing ya on ere alot then! :LOL:

Ssshhhhh, it was in the house when I bought it - my neighbours have had hells bother with theirs but so far touch wood (until now maybe!) mine has been ok! Am seriously thinking of signing up to the British Gas monthly thingie in case something major does go bang!

Anyway! My radiators! On a strange note, I have 5 radiators on the top floor of the house - two (the longer ones) are fine, heat all through them and right to the top. The three smaller ones have heat till about 8 inches from the bottom and then nothing - when I open the bleed valve at the top there is no air or water or anything coming out. Should I / can I leave it open with a bowl underneath in the hope something comes out? Any other ideas?

Pop off the bottom panel - there is a pressure gauge there. It needs to be at 1.5bar.

The filling loop is just underneath and to the left.

Its at about 0.4 bar which Im guessing aint good - is there anything I can do myself to sort it or am I better to call out a pro?

I refer the honourable poster to the answer I gave some moments ago.

If you need a manual send me an email.

I just opened the two taps on the filling loop, waited till the pressure had gone up to 1.5 bar and the closed them again - is that OK? Is there anything else I need to do?

check the rads are warming all the way to the top. Bleed if necessary, check the pressure again.

Enjoy....

You are a saviour! Went upstairs, opened the bleed valve - it was like Mt Vesuvius going off and now they are piping hot right to the top!

Thank you SOOOO much :)

woo-hoo.jpg

Just for future reference. The white part on the stelrad bleed screw can be rotated to direct the jet of hot water away from your face and into a cup. Then open the bleed screw. I know its a bit basic, but it might save the next reader getting a jet of water in the eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back