Bleeding system after drain / re-fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I will be shortly draining / re-filling my conventional F&E type CH system. I put some X400 sludge remover in it a couple of months ago and need to drain / re-fill and add inhibitor (would Screwfix no-nonsense stuff work as I need 2 litres, it's a little cheaper than Sentinel)?

Main question is, when I have re-filled in the past I have bled the rads and pump, but the boiler has always banged and locked out several times before all the air is expelled (through more bleeding of the rads etc).

Is there a way to run the pump with the boiler turned off, so I can be sure all the air has been expelled through bleeding the rads before turning the boiler on?

Sponsored Links
would Screwfix no-nonsense stuff work as I need 2 litres, it's a little cheaper than Sentinel?
You bought decent cleaner, which ends up down the drain! Why try to save a few pennies by buying a cheap product which will be in your system for possibly 10 years? Buy Sentinel X100. If you live in a hard water area it might be worth putting in a can of X200 as well (I doubt if you will need more than one can of each.)

You said:
Is there a way to run the pump with the boiler turned off,
The easiest way would be to wire the pump to a 3 pin plug. Don't forget to set any motorized valve to Manual, so they are open.

yep thats the best way to do it,boiler stat to 0 valves to manual,programmer to on and off she goes but with no fire up,as churchill says.....................

OH YESSSSSSSSS. lol

Sponsored Links
You bought decent cleaner, which ends up down the drain! Why try to save a few pennies by buying a cheap product which will be in your system for possibly 10 years? Buy Sentinel X100. If you live in a hard water area it might be worth putting in a can of X200 as well (I doubt if you will need more than one can of each.)

In the end I bought 2 x 1 litres Sentinel. Our house has 12 rads, 1 litre of sentinel treats upto 10 rads.

nairb999 and kev_1911 - thank you for the tip on setting the boiler stat to 0.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back