blistering Farrow and ball exterior eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the start of summer I was asked to paint a front door.

The door had been previously oiled, or some such.

The grain on the oak door was quite pronounced so i sanded it flat. The recessed panels were still grainy and had minor movement cracks so I back filled all four panels with epoxy resin, sanding it back but leaving a paper's thickness of filler.

At this point I was presented with the paint- Farrow and Ball exterior eggshell. I voiced my concerns about using a water based paint but the client insisted.

Two coats of waterbased primer/uc were applied followed by 4 coats of eggshell, with sanding between coats.

The clients were happy so i was happy.

3 months later and there is a paint blister the size of a two pence piece
on one of the panels.

This is the first time that I have ever had a this happen.

The filler is sound as is the uc, the four layers of eggshell have just peeled away in one layer???

Whilst this was the first time that i had worked for these customers I have since done other work so they know that i am not a donkey- never-the-less it is very embarrassing.

I will phone farrow and ball but i know that they will buck pass. I guess that they will put it down to surface contaminates but i know that the door was clean.

I guess that I am going to need to resand the door and go with oil based. Does any one have any decent exterior oil based eggshells that they can recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Holkham Paints - might be worth a try :idea: thought that oak shouldn`t be painted , only oiled :confused:

Oak is one of the worst woods for movement, however old it is. If stained or varnished you dont tend to see it. However could it be the remanants of the oil that was in the door ?

Hi NigeF

They don't seem to do an eggshell, gloss only

Sponsored Links
Hi RobbieUk

It seems unlikely, but who can say. I spent a day and a half sanding, filling and resanding.

Where the paint has blistered the 0.25mm-0.5mm of resin filler and u/c is sound. If it had been oil I wouldn't expect the filler to still be fingernail proof.

Incidentally the door is in a perpetual state of movement. The mastic joins (everbuild 125) around the panel mouldings have cracked, I guess I need to use a high modulus mastic or sikaflex. Also the resin filler joins where the styles and rails meet have developed hairline cracks. I had warned the client that it was a probability. The door slamming doesn't help though. I might sikaflex them as well but I have never tried to sand that stuff flat before, i guess a sharp chisel and 180g-400g paper.

I see that the Little Greene people do exterior eggshell- who makes their paint- is it sanderson? Any good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back