Blistering Paint - Over Skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Plastering my mates nursery today, well tried to!

The room used to have wallpaper up, when he removed it a few months ago found the wass to be very badly cracked, and crap. So I said I would skim it for him.

Prepared it all yesterday, loose paint etc off the wall. Put a coat of PVA on yesterday, and noticed the paint slightly bubbling. Went round today to start plastering, put some more pva on and paint again started to bubble, blistering in places. Let the PVA go tacky then started to plaster, and you guessed it Plaster started to bubble. So **** it, scrapped it all off one wall, the paint because it was damp was easy to pull off it places, but as soon as it dried went hard again.

Searched the FOrum and found a thread reccommending someone to use:

Thistle Bond-it

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66038&highlight=over+skim

is this the actual name of the product? all I could find in B&Q was a Thistle bonding coat (powder). What is Thistle Bond-it? is it liquid based or something I have to dilute?

Scrapping as much paint off as we can now before I skim again, be handy if the stuff above will sort it out though.

Thanks

Gareth

Sponsored Links
Yeah he steamed the wall paper off.

The wall has a dividing layer, half meter from ceiling down is fine, paint is not flaky, plaster was fine on that bit. But below that the paint was really flaky. Looked like silk paint, that was causing the problem.

I take it I still use PVA after Thistle Bond-It when its dried?

Gaz

Sponsored Links
hi britishrallying..
there is no need to pva thistle bond-it !!!! brush or roll it on once and leave to dry, wickes has the same type called wickes bonding agent this is applied the same way but only needs 2-3 hours drying time at £20.00 a tub .. its a type of glue with sand in it ..open tub;mix with a stick and slap it on, once dried apply plaster, :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back