Vinyl Paint Blistering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a very bad time using a pot of vinyl silk.

I've just had all the walls skimmed. I'm quite certain the plaster was dry and it was sealed with PVA. In 5 or 6 places now the paint has blistered and once you start pulling it can be a very big patch. And what comes off isn't just the paint. It's taking the new plaster, original paint and even the paper off the original plasterboard. It's like it's been attacked with acid.

The only connecting factor has been it happens where there is only a very shallow skim of plaster. Deeply plastered sections have been okay.

The plasterer thinks this is a problem with vinyl paint that can happen to even old walls. I have been over-painting in as little as 3 hours but I think what might be causing it is over-rolling where the paint has already started curing. The 2nd pass is catching on now tacky paint and lifts the lot.

Can anyone confirm this? It's making a hell of a mess.

Also, is it safe to put matt on top of vinyl? Or does it stop the vinyl flexing and cause cracking?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
how long has the wall been skimmed for? From the sound of it youve painted it too soon and the moisture is trying to get out. Once you get these sort of bubbles, they will go back if left to dry out, but once you start going over them with a roller again, it dampedns the surface and everything lifts. Leave it all well alone and let it dry out fully. Once thats done you can rub down the bad areas fill (let it dry) and then finish it all off.

Thanks for the answer.

The plaster had been on for a week. But as mentioned, deeper sections of plaster (and so what you would expect to be damper) have been fine. The ceiling was virgin plasterboard and extensively skimmed and that's been fine too (touch wood).

The blistering is happening within 2 minutes of the paint going on, sometimes instantaneously.

Hi MrsCalex,
I have had a similar problem with a recently skimmed ceiling except I was using emulsion - you might want to view my posting title Ceiling Hell.

Can you tell me what you did to remedy the problem ?

Thanks.

Steve C

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back