Block and beam floor - height not correct with existing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum - so I hope I have posted in the correct section.

I currently have a double storey extension being built - previous builder did not complete the job, £12000 lost on unfinished work and now I have new builder completing the job.

Problem I have is that the block and beam floor is 90mm lower than the existing internal floor -on my specs, it says that I need to at a DPM, 75mm insulation and 75mm reinforced screed. Now that adds up to 150mm.

What are my options in getting the floor insulated and screeded to building regs? I really don't want the floor in the extension to be higher than the existing floor.

Oh and I can't lower it as the structure is already up and awaiting a roof.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't give you a definite answer, but having investigated block & beam floors recently for my own project, I think I may have seen the option of insulation and a floating wooden floor.
Perhaps it's worth you investigating that option. Although I think it'll still leave your new ffl about 10mm above the existing ffl.

I'm sure the more experienced and skilled people on this forum can give you a more definitive answer.

Thanks for your help.

I am hoping there is a more efficient insulation that I could use so that I don't have to put in 75mm or the floating floor sounds like a plan.

To give the experienced people an option on specifying a more efficient insulation, you'll need to specify what you intended to use.

Sponsored Links
Here are the specs:

Suspended concrete floor – ground floor
• Floor level to match existing.
• 65mm screed including mesh reinforcement.
• 1200g D.P.M. Laid under insulation minimum lap 150
mm.
• 90mm Kingspan TF70 insulation
• 20mm Kingspan TF70 at perimeter walls equal to
insulation thickness + screed depth.
• 1200g D.P.M. Laid under insulation minimum lap 150
mm.

Hmm.. why is the screed reinforced? is it a composite floor or a particularly large area?

Ok.. one option if not a little more expensive may be to look into jetfloor or heatsave..

What spacing are the beams? and spans?

Stressline 125 x 150) pre-stressed ‘I’ concrete floor
beams at 530mm centres.

Infilled with Grade blocks with a maximum density of
1900 kg/m3 block size 440 x 215 x 100mm. Block to be
capable of supporting a 3.5kN transverse load over a
400mm clear span.

The extension is 4m x 8m wide.

Stressline do a thermal composite option to their flooring.. it basically replaces the blocks with blocks of polystyrene.. but you then need a higher spec screed with reinforcement.. this way you can get away with a 75mm screed over your floor and only be 15mm shy of the mark..

I should have added - I need to find a solution that doesn't require me to replace the blocks and isn't too costly.

Having lost £12000 I am struggling to finish the extension.

Thanks so far!

Looks as though I may have found a solution - I can install 70mm celotec floor insulation and then use battens to install a plywood floor. I'll probably use 20mm ply to match the existing floor height.

Any one got any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back