Beam and block floor clearance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My new ground floor extension will have a beam and block floor covered with 75mm of cellotex and then a 65mm screed finish, My questions are: how much clearance will I need to allow under the beams to allow ventilation and will the area need to be covered with anything or can it just be left as clean soil?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Minimum void is 150mm. Regulations don't require any form of oversite or seal but it's common to put one in of the ground isn't clean. If you do put one in it must either be above the level of surrounding ground or be drained. (either by being porous or install a drain) A common method is 50mm of no fines semi dry concrete.

I did a block and beam floor for an 'Orangery' (oooo). Spec said as above min 150mm void 2 air bricks on each flank and oversite covered with geo-textile membrane. Ground under block and beam was left clay/soil level with ground surrounding the 'orangery'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back