Block and beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thoughts on this please

Span of approx 5.3 but beams cut and abutted end to end to end on a sleeper wall. Roughly 2.7 and 2.9 length

Would you do the same or stagger the beams?

Any comments on critique welcome

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_180027.jpg
    IMG_20210929_180027.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
The floor beams needs to be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines. So check what the manufacturer states on the permissible bearing, some have differing requirements.

Will ask but not sure they got a plan for this apart from ordering from selco!

How will you stagger them if the main requirement is to land on the central wall?

Sponsored Links
Please see attached pic

Builders are not planning to use end blocks on the ends around the whole perimeter. Say insulation around the cavity is enough of a seal. Is it not necessary?

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_142332.jpg
    IMG_20210930_142332.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20210930_133953.jpg
    IMG_20210930_133953.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 273
Again, the manufacturer's guidance should be followed, not the builders do what they like.

Thanks for your input woody it is much appreciated. I just don't know how to check this. Do I call selco, ask the manufacturer of the beams and then call them and ask that way?

You could phone selco and ask who their supplier is. Have a fake a story ready for if they ask for an account number.

Otherwise Google a few manufacturers and get a consensus from their install guides as to what they tend to require.

Thanks Charlie, that seems to be what my research shows. Can I ask what the worry is if there are no slip bricks and there's a gap - what's a potential problem? Also can you please explain your second point I didn't quite understand it. Many thank

Thanks Charlie, that seems to be what my research shows. Can I ask what the worry is if there are no slip bricks and there's a gap - what's a potential problem? Also can you please explain your second point I didn't quite understand it. Many thank
Fundamentally, the issue is that your builders are not building properly - either by ignorance or incompetence, but regardless it's not right and you are surely not paying someone to do work that is not right nor do you want work that not built correctly.

The inner block wall leaf is built on the floor, and the wall should not be built on unsupported floor blocks

To be fair I asked the architect BC and he said air gap is also an accepted method but clearly some choose to have it.

Of course the beams are supported on block work but there is a void due to the 50mm recess profile of the beam

To be fair I asked the architect BC and he said air gap is also an accepted method but clearly some choose to have it.

Of course the beams are supported on block work but there is a void due to the 50mm recess profile of the beam
Nah that's fubar, they're fobbing you off though I don't know why unless you're paying them to oversea the work? As woodhead mentioned each unsupported block is acting like a mini lintel, you really think that's OK? Would you allow your builder to support the head of 350 wide window with a block on its side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back