Block Built BBQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’d like to build a block built barbecue.

I’ve worked up some plans but I would be really grateful if someone could throw their expert eye over it.

For example,
- is there a better way to build it to optimise the use of blocks?
- is the space I’ve allowed for the bbq reasonable (I’ve looked up a few Weber’s and it seems like a fully open bbq should fit with a little overhang). I’ve never owed a bbq - they all seem to have stands. I presume it detaches. Are all bbqs the same dimensions?
- I have an upstand included. I think it looks nice. Does it do anything to take the heat?
- I plan to render it. Not sure what the counter should be.
- the long counter to the right is to have plenty of space for other food etx.
- I’ll need to put a cupboard in for a gas canister.

Anything I’ve seen online is either ‘brick built’ charcoal bbq or esle it’s this mad expensive outdoor kitchen type thing.

Anyway - thanks everyone. Appreciate all views.

Attachments

• 58BEF6E4-7401-4F19-9F17-99ADF0404F27.png
    58BEF6E4-7401-4F19-9F17-99ADF0404F27.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
If painting the render it won't last long with heat and fat, might be better off with a stainless steel splash back for behind the BBQ.

As for the BBQ bit, it would probably be worthwhile to buy a gas BBQ and use the bits you want from it. Just because it has legs doesn't mean you have to use it.

You also don't want a BBQ with a hinged lid with that design of outdoor kitchen. Maybe something like this https://www.caterkwik.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_ZENITH4 but you'll have to make your own lid for it

Last edited:
Nice.

Unfortunately I am unable to advise on block layout, though I presume normal blocks and blockwork would be sufficient.

You'd want it standard kitchen height, the biggest thing is insulating the heat from the block work, as you don't want the block work to take and retain any of the heat, and you don't want it heating up cupboard space underneath it.

So I would assume that standard block work would be used for the main area, but around the BBQ you would want to use fire bricks so as not to transfer heat.

Sponsored Links
That a good idea to build up block build barbecue, but have to keep in mind the exhaust system should in place & proper wind corridor so that your stove get enough oxygen to burn up.
Thank you for response. Could you explain it a little more if you wouldn’t mind. This sounds like advanced level stuff for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back