Block Mortar Mix ?

I

iDIY

Hi Guys,

Well I guess my first post on the forum may as well be a basic one :)

Im going to be building a replacement garage in dense concrete block, on both inner and outer leaf with 100mm cavity containing insulation.

The more google searches I do the more contradictions I read, so I figured I would ask in a Trade Talk forum.

I have read that my mortar should be anything from;
6 building sand
1 cement
1 lime
1 plasticiser

right through to;
3 sharp sand
1 cement
no lime
no plasticiser

As a novice bricklayer, i will be working at a slower pace than a good bricky, and i will be all fingers and thumbs at the outset when it comes to handling the mortar on the trowel. So maybe that will impact upon any responses?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
4 or 5 building sand, 1 cement, splash of plasticiser. Make sure it is mixed well enough for the plasticiser to do its job. I found it was easier to lay if the blocks where a little damp. Not dripping wet but not bone dry. Also its much easier with fresh mortar so mix in small batches as you will be slow. Finally if you can find some medium dense blocks are easier to work with. Just a little bit lighter for a slightly higher cost, same strength

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back