Block Paving Drive Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new block paved double drive laid which I am more than happy with, but the wet weather last week has slowed down the drying out process of the sand in the joints.....I was advised that once these were all dried out and the excess sand swept off, I could then spread some Kiln Sand into the joints to finish it all off.

What is the importance of this kiln sand?

Could I sweep out the damp gritty sand from the joints to speed up the process, as everything is all "locked" together by the plater they used.....?

Sponsored Links
Some one correct me if i am wrong but the kiln dried sand should have been put on and brushed loosely over the surface then wacker plated to force and vibrate the fine sand into the joints thus keying them together hence the term key block paving . Thats how i usually do it anyway.

mikric said:
Some one correct me if i am wrong but the kiln dried sand should have been put on and brushed loosely over the surface then wacker plated to force and vibrate the fine sand into the joints thus keying them together hence the term key block paving . Thats how i usually do it anyway.
The sharp sand should only be used under the blocks not on the top , usually its the pavers job to put the kiln dryed sand in as its part of the process, how come its now your job ?

Sponsored Links
no you dont need correcting, they should have added the kiln dreid sand and vibraterd it after its been swept off. May have left a bag just to allow him to top up if needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back