1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Block paving drive weeds keep coming

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by alpenbowl, 23 Jul 2018.

1. alpenbowl

alpenbowl

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Been in house for 2 years previous owner did a great job of regularly jet washing the block paving drive every year but never replaced the sand filler! To top that off he kindly re seeded the grass a few months before selling but looks like more went down the gaps in the block paving.

I have jet washed two decent sized areas and re filled with kiln dried sand and the grass just comes back in no time. Its a large drive that is slowly getting taken over by grass.

Any suggestions on what to do to get on top of it?

2. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The grass seeds have grown up through the gaps because the sand has been dislodged by jet washing. Normally the roots would form on the surface and be easier to spot and remove.

A combination of weed killer, removal by hand of as much as possible of the grass, and re filling with sand to inhibit further growth, might inhibit or reduce further growth.

Blup

• Like Like x 1
  3. alpenbowl

alpenbowl

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Looks like it will be of hard work and time then .That or tarmac the whole drive over.

4. pete50

pete50

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I burn mine with a weed wand. Gotta be a bit careful though at the moment in this dry. I love the smell of burning weeds in the morning.

5. lonner

lonner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to weed kill then re-sand.
    Unfortunately most people pressure wash and only do half the job.

The over use of a washer on the joints washes out the bedding sand so you then get sinkage..

Eventually you need the paving relaying.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get rid of the weeds, top up the sand and seal the drive with Resiblock, it’s brilliant. My drive was sealed with it 6 yrs ago and I’m only just getting a few weeds through as it needs resealing again.