Block paving drive weeds keep coming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been in house for 2 years previous owner did a great job of regularly jet washing the block paving drive every year but never replaced the sand filler! To top that off he kindly re seeded the grass a few months before selling but looks like more went down the gaps in the block paving.

I have jet washed two decent sized areas and re filled with kiln dried sand and the grass just comes back in no time. Its a large drive that is slowly getting taken over by grass.

Any suggestions on what to do to get on top of it?

Sponsored Links
The grass seeds have grown up through the gaps because the sand has been dislodged by jet washing. Normally the roots would form on the surface and be easier to spot and remove.

A combination of weed killer, removal by hand of as much as possible of the grass, and re filling with sand to inhibit further growth, might inhibit or reduce further growth.

Blup

Thanks. Looks like it will be of hard work and time then .That or tarmac the whole drive over.

I burn mine with a weed wand. Gotta be a bit careful though at the moment in this dry. I love the smell of burning weeds in the morning.

Sponsored Links
You need to weed kill then re-sand.
Unfortunately most people pressure wash and only do half the job.

The over use of a washer on the joints washes out the bedding sand so you then get sinkage..

Eventually you need the paving relaying.

Get rid of the weeds, top up the sand and seal the drive with Resiblock, it’s brilliant. My drive was sealed with it 6 yrs ago and I’m only just getting a few weeds through as it needs resealing again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back