Block paving in driveway question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have quite a long driveway which is block paved (bricks). I notice the sand is coming up, and accumilates against the walls either side of the driveway.

Its a bit annoying and as I havent noticed it on anyone elses block driveway I wondered what was causing it? Should I seal it?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Mike is the sub base sufficient - are the blocks sinking under the weight of vehicles?

I did wonder about that - there are two very slight (5mm or so at a guess) grooves where my car (old 3 series, about 1.5ton) drives into the garage every day.

The block driveway was laid in 2008 and has a 10 year warranty - was fitted by the prior owner so i'm not sure it even applies anymore. Do you think it is reasonably worth getting them back to have a look, or is there something I can do to stop it myself?

Presumably you are thinking that the movement is pushing the sand out? There is a 1cm gap at the other side of the drive (opposite side to house) alongside the garden wall - can't be helping i guess.

Thanks

Sounds like it's spreading as it's not bound in on that side you mentioned, thus opening up the joints ever so slightly and allowing sand to be pumped up to the surface. If this is the case it's only going to get worse.

Is there any way you can remove a few blocks in an untrafficked corner and check type and depth of construction layers? I wonder if there's an impermeable membrane under the sand? If the bedding sand becomes waterlogged it will be quite fluid and try and escape where it can.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

I may be able to lide a couple of blocks. Who could i call to look at this, hopefully the whole drive wont have to be redone? It cost 10k!

Is there any chance of a photo?

Could it be ants bringing jointing sand up?

lasors - embarrasingly that had not even occured to me. Just in the bottom left you can see a drain, the driveway slopes into that drain where I was standing to take the photo, though the area actually in the photo is largely flat. I guess sand erroding off the top of the driveway has to stop somewhere..

Thanks - I guess thats a reasonable explanation (behind where i'm stood there is a car, been parked for years - there is a lot of sand next to it) - especially as the wind tunnels down the drive. You've put my mind at ease anyway - i'll leave it and see what happens I think..

As always a picture speaks a thousand words! Lol. Don't worry about it, but keep an eye on it, particularly that unbound edge. I'd investigate that first and consider putting some concrete in to hold the edge.

no need to play with it get wash it and resand the drive with kiln dryed sand and re whack the drive and seal it up job done done loads like this if it falls to the house youll need a gully drain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back