Block paving on a sloping drive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two drives, the left hand on an incline going into a garage and the right hand one a very slight incline. What I want is to remove the dividing wall, raise the right hand drive up by 240mm and end up with one large 6M wide drive.

We've had nothing but trouble with sinking with the current block paving we have so am wondering what the best covering would be for the new incline single drive.
If the groundwork was carried out perfectly would block paving be adequate for a sloping drive? If so, any particular block better than others?
How about a textured imprinted concrete? Bad idea on a sloping drive?

Sponsored Links
I do not know much about this subject, but a few points come to me, how are you going to terminate your new slope - up against the gate? , I think you will need a concrete edge and a step (or two). Like wise at the back against the adjacent wall, another concrete edge? To stop the pressure of the car on the drive pushing the wall over.
If the present drive has soft spots under it, these will have to be dealt with whatever new drive you opt for. Also 240mm needs to be built up - another chance of soft bits?
Frank

if the block paving is done correctly as you say with good groundwork you wont get any sinking and its fine on a slope
I helped block pave a petrol station forecourt 20 years ago and its still as flat as the day we laid it.

Wonder how high the DPC is....

Also, is it a trick of the light, or is the tarmac pavement also sinking? Is the ground made of marshmallow, or has the OP been parking a tank on his drive? :LOL:

How about a textured imprinted concrete? Bad idea on a sloping drive?
Bad idea absolutely anywhere and everywhere.

Sponsored Links
I do not know much about this subject, but a few points come to me, how are you going to terminate your new slope - up against the gate? , I think you will need a concrete edge and a step (or two). Like wise at the back against the adjacent wall, another concrete edge? To stop the pressure of the car on the drive pushing the wall over.
If the present drive has soft spots under it, these will have to be dealt with whatever new drive you opt for. Also 240mm needs to be built up - another chance of soft bits?
Frank

Hi frank, yes, I realise a step or two will be needed at the right hand side and possibly some blocks built side upwards on a concrete footing in front of the wall for reinforcement.
I also appreciate any groundwork would have to be done correctly otherwise I'll have another sinking drive :(

Wonder how high the DPC is....

Also, is it a trick of the light, or is the tarmac pavement also sinking? Is the ground made of marshmallow, or has the OP been parking a tank on his drive? :LOL:

DPC is above ground level, ground as in the top of the left hand drive.
A lot of the sinking in front of the right hand drive on the Tarmac came from having a skip on the RH drive when we had an extension built.

as for better paving what about permeable block paving an good firm like Marshalls or brett make them?

As for the groundwork's your looking at 150mm to even 250mm type 1 stone compacted in levels of 100mm with a min of 10 passes over the finished high
an as for the sharp sand screed id say 50mm/60mm compacted then your call 50mm is normal but you can get 60mm for heavy traffic.

Could you not get the old paving cleaned then just use these on your new drive
as for taking out the wall an laying one level the way i see it is you can but youll need to put a height break like kirb or step.
or grade off an roll the two drives together so your have a slope runnig from the left to right then from the house/garage to the pavement?
or grade out the drive an have a slight grade then have a incline from drive to garage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back