block paving sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to jet wash my drive, and have heard that I need to replace the sand in the joints quickly afterwards to stop the blocks destabilising. Which kind of sand do I use (sharp or the kiln dried stuff)? don't know much about sand, but reckon it needs to be dry to go into the gaps. what's the best method? will brushing get it in all the joints? should I brush it all off the surface or leave some scattered around (seen this on a few others people drives after they have been paved.)

finally - where can I get a decent sealant to coat it with? Ebay is the only place I can find and they charge £90 for a hug container. Do any of the sheds stock it? I only have a smallish drive and don't want lots left over. Oh, and when is the best time to seal: a few days after the sand? presumably I need to have all the sand brushed off the surface before I can apply it.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you need to brush in kiln dried sand.

you can then sprinkle a joint stabilizing solution, via a watering can, into the joints to effectively 'clog' the sand into place.

wickes has something called "block paving sand" so I'll probably just get that.
re the stabilizing solution - can't find one via google, especially one that's applied by watering can. Is this to be used before a sealant or instead of it. I thought one of the purposes of the sealant was to stop sand from coming out. Still having difficulty locating a sealant. I was told Jewsons and buildbase did them. Anyone heard of or tried cementone block resin?

Sponsored Links
just searched the forum for cementone (maybe I should have done this first) and found 2 other queations about it... both received no replies. So, has anyone any experience of cementone? as it seems to be the only selant you can buy hassel free over the counter (but only at the 2 places I mentioned previously.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back