'Block' Transformer Live/Neutral Pin Identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may not be exactly household related, but I thought there might be an electrician here who knows the answer? Hope that's ok, I couldn't find another suitable folder.

I need to know which pins on this transformer are live or neutral. Looking at the information on the back, I'd presume the live pin on the primary corresponds with the '230V' marking directly opposite and the neutral is the pin opposite the '0'?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Block psu.jpg

Sponsored Links
Input doesn't really matter which way around but use the side marked '0' as the neutral. The output won't be referenced to earth so there's no neutral as such.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply @fluorescence So are you saying that theoretically speaking, I could essientially wire it either way (as long as the secondary side adheres to the same polarity)? I've seen a video where someone seems to do just that, which was what was confusing me.

The secondary side doesn't need to be the same way around as the input. What you have is an isolated transformer meaning there is no physical electrical connection between the primary (240v) & secondary (9v) sides so there will be no reference to earth on the secondary side, hence no neutral.

This video explains it better than I can:

See John's other videos on transformers too for more info.

Sponsored Links
Methinks someone needs to research how AC works :)

@fluorescence Thanks a lot for your help and that video! It's really informative, he's a very engaging teacher! I'll definitely be checking out his other videos and subscribing.

Someone is learning/researching how AC works by asking on this friendly forum.

Its simple...

The electricity suppliers sell you electrons and you then instantly give them the same ones back again, but don't charge them for them - you just give them back for nothing. They only meter the ones they send to you, they don't meter the ones you give them back.

Its simple... The electricity suppliers sell you electrons and you then instantly give them the same ones back again, but don't charge them for them - you just give them back for nothing. They only meter the ones they send to you, they don't meter the ones you give them back.
:)

The reality, I presume, is that neither you nor the electricity company usually part with any electrons - i.e. few, if any, enter or leave your house - they merely wobble about a bit within your house :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back