Block wall to replace fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folk,

I'm laying a new concrete drive over which i intend to put a car-port eventually.

Down the perimeter side of the drive is currently a 6' panelled fence with wooden posts. (this stretches the length of the house which is about 20'

My 1st thought is to maybe replace the fence with a concrete block wall to make it an easy job when i come to do the car port.

Could you advise, if i was to go this way, what foundations would be needed for a block wall of this size (6'6'' x 20') and what number of pillars for stability.

My 2nd thought, is to build brick pillars, which will support the car port, and have wooden panels between the pillars.
Again, could you advise on the size of footings for these pillars, and minimum suggested size for each pillar.

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
the thickness of the concrete will need to be upwards of 225mm, though mass filling can work out cheaper.

the footings will need to be at least 200-300mm wider than the wall, giving a 100-150mm projection of concrete beyond the wall facets.

the depth you need to dig will depend on soil conditions. expect to dig down at least 750mm or at least until you are into sound virgin earth. if it is made-up ground, it could be a lot deeper!

i would use pillars every 2m or so.

Thanks very much for that noseall,

I have a very good idea of the ground condition as i dug 1m footings recently for a garage which is quite close to the location of the wall.

Most of it was about 8 or so inches of sub-soil then chunks of bed rock all the way (hard work to dig through).

Would the foundation work be the same if i was to go with option 2 with the brick pillars or would i do a separate foundation slab for each pillar?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back