Blockage in cold water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a strange house that has some cold water taps suppied directly from the mains and some from a tank in the loft.
Recently the cold water supply to the bath became almost non existant then a few weeks later went back to normal, now the wash hand basin is doing the same I have had the tap off and there is really no pressure for some reason, I am very confused and wondered if it could be a blockage as we are always getting small bits of stuff coming through from the watertank.

Any help or ideas would be great...

Thanks for reading....

Sponsored Links
The ball cock to the water tank is sticking shut, meaning you are draining the tank and all the gunk at the bottom, replace.So tell me whats strange about your house?

Its a strange house because the house had been extended so many times without what seems like a qualified plumber or electrician so its all a mess.

Thanks for the help though guys I will get up in the loft and replace the ballcock, but is there anyway of clearing the already blocked pipe? we are going to have all the pipework redone this summer but for now I could just do with a fix??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
there is a considerable possibility that a mouse or bird or something has drowned in your cold tank and its remains are going down the pipes :eek:

Have a look. If you are lucky it will just be grit or rust particles or limescale flakes.

Clean it out (tie up the ball valve and drain it first by the free-flowing cold tap). After you have scrubbed it out with detergent and rinsed it, you can sterilise it by adding a small amount of bleach to the cold water and leaving it for an hour. Or you can buy Milton or other steriliser at the chemist

Buy a tight-fitting lid to stop it happening again and also fit an insulating jacket.

If you put a hosepipe on your downstairs mains-pressure cold tap, and on the blocked bathroom tap, then the water jet may force the fragments back into the cold tank so you can empty them out and carry them away in a bucket. You can get a screw-on tap/hose connector in the garden tools shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back