Blocked basin sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!

My ensuite sink is blocked. In the past whenever Ive had a blocked sink Ive been able to take out the plug and poor drain cleaner down. However, with this sink it doesnt look like I can take out the plug. (Ive tried unscrewing it).

What can I do to unplug it?

IMG_3422.JPG IMG_3423.JPG

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Clear the cabinet. Take the trap out and give it a good clean, mechanically.

Beware of any drain cleaner still in the trap.

See if the shelf slides out to ease removal of the trap.

Looks from photos like plug should unscrew....

Can you see from my photo how Id remove the plug? (I suspect thats where the block is, although Ill know for sure once I take the trap out). On my last sink it was connected underneath to a little metal bar. But I cant see what this plug is attached to.

You have what's called a click clack waste, push it down it closes push it again it opens. Some of them just unscrew anticlockwise and clockwise to tighten. Some don't.

If it won't you need to unscrew the trap and check for a restriction that way, you will need to take the shelf out to loosen the trap. Just push up on the shelf on the left or right side and it should fall off the hangers.

Sponsored Links
You have what's called a click clack waste, push it down it closes push it again it opens. Some of them just unscrew anticlockwise and clockwise to tighten. Some don't.

If it won't you need to unscrew the trap and check for a restriction that way, you will need to take the shelf out to loosen the trap. Just push up on the shelf on the left or right side and it should fall off the hangers.

Thanks, Ill try to unscrew the plug again. Maybe I need to give it a bit more welly!

I cant remove the shelf:

IMG_3424.JPG

I presume I need to unscrew either side of the trap and pull it out horizontally?

That looks like an adjustable height trap.
Undo the top white plastic nut from the sink's outlet, then loosen off the white plastic nut on the trap. The vertical column should then be able to be pushed down into the trap so releasing it from the sink outlet. Now release the trap from the main outlet pipe and remove for cleaning.

Hmm. Not getting far with this.
This is what Im working with:
IMG_3431.JPG

OK, Im not gonna bother trying to work out how to take that trap out. Ive fixed the blockage which was just under the plug, however now the plug doesnt work!

I got it out by turning slightly anti clockwise. But it just wont go back in! I cant see any thread in the plughole for it to screw back into.

.IMG_3428.JPG IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3430.JPG

Im obviously not cut-out to be a plumber!! :cry:

Balls.

Should it be connected to something underneath? I cant get underneath as I cant get the damn trap off. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Loosen both top nuts on the trap. The top piece should slide down (it's telescopic) into the body of the trap. That should give you space to remove it.

Cheers. Ill give this another go tomorrow.

I see how that plug should be working now. It should have a little bar holding it down. The metal sheath has is broke. (n)

Morning all! The sink is now draining freely. But Im stuck with no plug. It looks like the metal has corroded and split. I presume if I get an identical plug, Ill need to take the trap out (which I dont trust myself doing. Its a bit fiddly and awkwardly small space).

Is there a simple push/pull plug available to fit the plughole which doesnt involve getting underneath the basin to install?

IMG_3433.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back