Blocked Drain

First thing I'd try is to remove the grid from the gulley, and using the plunder attachment on the end of a rod, (make sure it's on firmly and isn't going to come off), give the gulley a vigorous plunging, preferably with water running into it to wash away anything you disturb.

If this fails to clear it, then it's time to go manhole hunting, and it that's next door, and it's full, then the problem is downstream and it's time to call the Water company.

Thanks

I've got some rods on order which come tomorrow.

I can't find a manhole cover, it isn't in the neighbours garden, and I called United Utilities and they don't have any record of where the manholes are. So, my question is, will the rods work straight down the gully, or is it essential to have access to the manhole to use the rods?

Sponsored Links
MarcMCFC1986, good evening, again.

Depending on what type of rods you have? you will in all probability your rods will not go around the bends in your gully?

There are some "flexible" [coiled spring] Gismos but not generally robust enough to attach a 100.mm pipe blockage?

If you can, as above find the manhole, try a garden water hose first, that may do the trick, then move on to the rods

Good luck.

Ken.

First thing I need to know, are any other drains, toilets etc on your property affected? Second thing, is are the Neighbours reporting problems? If they are, then you've got bigger problems, and especially if the neighbours are affected, then it's UU's issue, they cannot get out of it. Never mind they havent got records, that's not your issue. Half the time the sewer map is wrong, and small drains doing a couple of houses may not be marked on their plans anyway. Sewer Folks know their game, and once on site, they should be able to suss the layout/direction of the system fairly quickly.

However, if it does seem it's only you, and the one gulley affected, try plunging the gulley. If there's a build up of detritus in the bottom, blocking the outlet, a good stirring with the plunger may well be enough to sort it.

Where is the soil pipe from your WC?

I ask because you say it is a 1960's house and so it may have been built with separate foul and rainwater drains.

Which may put a very, very different complexion on your problem.

Sponsored Links
I ask because you say it is a 1960's house and so it may have been built with separate foul and rainwater drains.

Which may put a very, very different complexion on your problem.

It's to the right of the photo - didn't get it into the shot. The toilet isn't backing up though, wouldn't that be the sign that the foul drains are the problem?

First thing I need to know, are any other drains, toilets etc on your property affected? Second thing, is are the Neighbours reporting problems? If they are, then you've got bigger problems, and especially if the neighbours are affected, then it's UU's issue, they cannot get out of it. Never mind they havent got records, that's not your issue. Half the time the sewer map is wrong, and small drains doing a couple of houses may not be marked on their plans anyway. Sewer Folks know their game, and once on site, they should be able to suss the layout/direction of the system fairly quickly.

However, if it does seem it's only you, and the one gulley affected, try plunging the gulley. If there's a build up of detritus in the bottom, blocking the outlet, a good stirring with the plunger may well be enough to sort it.

I checked neighbours two doors along on either side, and they aren't having any problems.

Show us please.

I'm back at work, but found the photo on Rightmove from two years ago when we bought it - hence the slightly hazy image!

Attachments

• Back Garden RM.jpg
    Back Garden RM.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 134

And no, the drains from the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, bath/shower etc. are all clearing fine - it's just when it gets into the gully outside that it is building up and draining slowly.

It looks to me like those plastic pipes on your house have been run to the rainwater gulley after the house was built.

Look at other similar houses nearby to see how their drains run.

Your iron soilpipe is so close to the corner of the house that the drain probably runs down the side of the house to the sewer in the road. Is that a side addition or was it built from new?

It looks to me like those plastic pipes on your house have been run to the rainwater gulley after the house was built.

Look at other similar houses nearby to see how their drains run.

Your iron soilpipe is so close to the corner of the house that the drain probably runs down the side of the house to the sewer in the road. Is that a side addition or was it built from new?

Quite possibly yes - the neighbours on both sides are similar though.

The only addition to the original building is the bit that sticks out at the side (on the right) is a kitchen extension - so where the soilpipe is running would originally have been the edge of the house.

Last night, I did dig out the drainage details sent by the solicitors when we bought the house, but didn't mean much to me - thats when I called United Utilities. I can scan these later and post them so see if you guys can make any sense of them!?

The house directly opposite me has a manhole cover in their front garden - so assuming they have them in similar places along the street it could well be in my front garden too, but I have a gravel driveway so might have to do a bit of grafting to find it! :censored:

There are plenty of houses of that era with combined drainage, it was nearer the 70's when separate systems became commonplace. Chances are the original rainwater goods, and hopper were asbestos cement. I would also hazard a guess there's a manhole on the property somewhere, with the main run passing though and 2 laterals from the gulley and soil stack going into it, which some clown has decided to bury under that paving.

Give the gulley a good plunging, if that doesn't solve the issue, report back.

The rods didn’t arrive from Amazon, so went to Wickes and bought a set. Waste of time though, I can’t get them around the bend in the pipework underground - and the plunger end that came with it isn’t even wide enough to create any pressure to clear it.

I noticed there seems to be baby wipes /tissue, and dirty water, coming back up the drain now - so there must be some blockage that is backing up. Still, my neighbours aren’t having an issue though

Called United Utilities, told them I’ve tried to sort it myself but can’t do it - they are coming out Saturday between 8-12pm. Even if they just tell me where the manhole is, I can use the rods to clear it myself. I’m just worried now that the manhole is under the kitchen extension or, as you said, under the paving in the garden. Don’t want the house tearing apart to sort this out!

Drains are funny things, just remember, water will always find it's own level. It may well be the neighbours are affected, they just dont realise it as the water is finding it's own level in your garden, rather than running away as it should. The fact you seem to have wipes coming back out the gulley indicates straight away it's more than a blocked gulley. Can I assume you dont use wipes, (or if you do you dont flush them?), which would indicate also there's more than one property affected and/or involved.

Is always amazing though, the number of properties where someone attends to deal with a blockage, finds out its caused by fat or wipes, and the householder denies any use of either or both. The look of their face when you tell them they are the only one on the run so the offending matter couldn't possibly have come from anywhere else..... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back