Blocked drainage - overflow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post! I wish it was under better circumstances :)

I seem to have a bit of a problem with a blocked drainage system!

I came back from some time away, and picked up the most disgusting smell. Only going outside to check the external grid at the back of the house (or is the correct name a gulley?.. anyway, its the one that takes the kitchen waste water) I found it was around 2ft square backed up with mush. I spent some time cleaning that (and borking..!), and the water receeded over the next few hours. However running the tap causes it to back up to full again, then take a few hours to receed again.

I then checked the front external grid/gulley - the one that the bath/shower/sink water flows into at the front of the house. This appeared to have a trail of what appeared to be mashed up paper flowing down the path. I think that this is toliet paper, and I think that the drain is blocked up between the front grid/gulley and the inspection cover. Thankfully, the toilet is not overflowing... yet. :)

Finally, I opened the inspection cover and found a foot pool of, well, waste water in the bottom of it.

I'd just like to ask for some advice really :)

Am I right in thinking that the blockage must be past the inspection cover access point as the inspection cover manhole has water inside?

Am I also correct in thinking there should be an access cover/screw/plug? The reason I ask this, is that due to the huge pool of water wastage under the inspection cover I'm assuming its missing; I seem to remember many years ago my dad said he had to clear a blockage under there and dropped the cover, and I dont recall if he was able to put it back on again so I thought it would make sense if there was a blockage down past the access point, that the water would start backing up through the access point and into the inspection cover well.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this/prevent it in future? I have the insurance drainage guys coming out tomorrow so that should sort it in the short term, but I guess a set of drain rods and a an access point cover would be the first thing to go for!

Any advice if my theory sounds feasable would be most appreciated!

Many thanks, and merry xmas :)

Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back